Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Tohoku Quake - Day 25

Ok, it's been awhile since my last update here. I guess that's a sign things are getting back to normal? Haha... hah...

Anyways, not really a whole lot of change over the last week. The situation in Fukushima hasn't appeared to necessarily get better or worse, and since there hasn't been an catastrophe of epic proportions yet, I'm assuming the situation will be under control, although they're saying it may take a long time for the crisis to be completely under control.

The latest I've heard is that they've (unsuccessfully) been trying to plug a crack in a maintenance pit that's spilling radioactive water into the ocean. I believe they're also purposely dumping some other radioactive water into the ocean to make room for more dangerous radioactive water in holding tanks as part of the process to get the situation under control. Despite the levels at the source being above the legal limit, given the scale of the water they're dumping to the amount of ocean water, it becomes dispersed very quickly and will (supposedly) not become a health issue to the area or fish taken from the area. Still, I can't imagine that will help the price of fish at all in the area even if it is safe.

Also, perhaps you've heard about a dog that was rescued at sea from a rooftop 3 weeks after the quake. Someone even made an interesting comic out of titled Three Weeks at Sea. This story also had a happy ending as the dog was reunited with it's owner.


Some more good news - we didn't have any outages last week, and aren't likely to have any this week either, more than likely because of the warmer weather we've been having. It's in the 50s and 60s, yea!! We'll have to enjoy it while we can though, because when summer rolls around everyone's AC units are going to make the power demand skyrocket. For now, while we have consistent power, we're doing what we can to prepare for future outages.

Other than that, we're still having aftershocks daily, more often in the evenings (I wonder if that's related to the tides). Fortunately, I can hardly feel them in Kanagawa anymore, and my Jishin Yoi (or Earthquake Sickness) seems to have finally warn off. It doesn't feel like it's randomly shaking as much anymore.

Oh! Also the Sakura (Cherry Blossoms) are finally blooming! I'll have to do some Hanami this weekend. These pictures I snapped this morning from behind my apartment next to my bike.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

See you Monday! I'm looking forward to seeing the cherry blossoms again myself as well.

Brad

4/05/2011 8:07 PM  
Blogger Kurisu said...

Yea, seems like you've timed it just right to hit the sakura blooming. Safe trip over the pond.

4/07/2011 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home