Saturday, February 26, 2011

Ripping Rentals

I found this out earlier this week and it has blown my mind. Not only can you rent CDs like you can movies in Japan (I already knew this), but it is completely legal to rip music off of the CD for your own personal use. I don't even have to delete the music after I return the CD.

Let me say that again. I can go to Tsutaya (Japanese Blockbuster), rent a CD, and legally copy the music to my computer/mp3 player to listen to whenever I want.

This is made possible by the fact that rental places pay royalties to the artists to offset any revenue loss from copying music. It's been like this since 1985 when the law changed for big electronics companies which sell the blank media and such. In other words, the much larger and more prevalent electronics companies were more influential than any small music company at the time, so they got the copyright laws changed in their favor.

I kind of like the idea. Too bad it doesn't apply to movies though, heh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kurisu said...

Yea, since my major was CSci, I didn't really take other Japanese classes besides the language, except for at Sophia where there were no CSci classes to take, heh.

2/26/2011 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home