Saturday, May 15, 2010

Snoopy in Shinjuku!

Last weekend I went to Ikebukuro and Shinjuku with Kana again. If you haven't noticed yet, this year is the 60th anniversary of Peanuts (the Charlie Brown kind, not the legume). As such I've been noticing a number of different snoopy merchandise and advertising around town. But hey thats cool, I like Snoopy, who doesn't? Kana's pretty into Snoopy at the moment as well. They're even doing a Snoopy Town in Harajuku that Kana and I went to the last time I was here in February.

Well as luck would have it, there just happened to be a big 60th anniversary exhibit running at the department store in Shinjuku station. We couldn't resist. The exhibit basically introduced and explained all the characters (all in Japanese mind you), as well as showed how the comic changed over the years. They also had some memorabilia and other possessions from Charles Schultz. My favorite was an exhibit on all the different characters Snoopy plays - from the Red Baron to Joe Cool and Sherlock Holmes.

One thing I remember about the last time I was in Snoopy Town in Harajuku is the DVD they had running. I remember the (Japanese) voices sounding uncannily similar to their English counter parts. I was tempted to by a DVD at the Peanuts exhibit in Shinjuku, but they didn't have the Christmas one. So I bought a bilingual Peanuts book instead. Also, looks like I can get my Japanese Peanuts fix on YouTube (better download these videos before they're gone!)



Also, while we were walking around town, shopping and such, I ran across more of my favorite - Engrish!!




...and then I ran across this. I love Japan.



Well currently I'm finishing up packing to move out to my new apartment across the river in Hon Atsugi tomorrow morning. Updates coming (I promise)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Charlie Brown items. Fun! Gianna

5/17/2010 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home