Thursday, August 23, 2007

All Good Things Come to an End

After 11 months, 5 days, looks like its just about time to go home.

お疲れ様です

I gotta say its gonna be really weird separating from Japan, and from Tokyo. This place really grows on ya. Its been really interesting this last week reflecting back on my year in Tokyo here. Things that used to be so amazing to me are now everyday common things. Japan is no longer some far off land on the other side of the world running on a different time, its been my home for a year. Speaking Japanese has become 2nd nature. Riding the train system here to get around is actually prolly easier than driving back stateside.... although I must say I'm really looking forward to driving again. It's been almost a year since I've been behind the wheel!!

As sad as it is to put an end to this chapter in my life, I find myself once again caught up in the next thing to move on to, which is nice, cause now I don't have the time or energy to dwell feeling depressed or w/e about leaving.

So, it's your last day in Tokyo, where do you wanna eat?
I dunno... I've got some coupons for McDonalds, I've been wanting to try that new pita thing too
...Yea, why not, me too

So where do you wanna go?
Lets go to Ueno, I really liked that place
Sure!
**1 hour later**
...Its really hot out... let's just go Karaoke next door in Yotsuya and get something from the supermarket for dinner. Watching TV in an air conditioned room seems more comfy

And that's how I spent my day yesterday. There is a sense of trying to do something special in the end but... well I don't have to money for it for 1. Also I've done all those special things. In a sense, it's more comfy to just go about how I used to all the time. Get some half off stuff from Pororoca (the supermarket) and eat at Kana's. She has a really nice room, and a TV ^_^

Well, I've gotta get goin in about an hour or so. Planning on meeting at the station around 9:30 to head for the airport. Flight leaves at 3:30, but Narita is not in Tokyo, so it takes an hour or so to get out there. Plus we wanted to catch some lunch at the airport. I stayed up all night last night, or at least most of it. I can't fall asleep on planes, so I was wondering how a combination of sleep deprivation and NyQuil would work...

So my flight leaves at 3:30 pm Tokyo time, and get to Atlanta at 3:10 pm... of the same day. Total travel time = -20 minutes. Sweet. Oh yea, thats right, 13 hours of time difference somehow disappeared in those -20 minutes. For those of you keeping track though, 3:30 pm Tokyo time would be 1:30 am Central time, and 3:10 pm Atlanta would be 2:10 pm Central. That puts me at a little over 12 hours airtime, woo hoo. I then have a 3 hour layover which hopefully will give me and Kana enough time to get through immigration. Apparently Atlanta is the worst. After that ordeal, I'll get on a plane around 6:15 Atlanta (5:15 Central) and finally reach Milwaukee by 7:25 pm.

So if you plug in my getting on the train in Tokyo at 9:30 am (7:30 pm of the prior day in Central time), that would be... oh whaddya know, 24 hours of travel. A whole day

Ok fine, 23 hours, 55 minutes

Well its been fun Tokyo, I'm gonna go take a day to get to the other side of the world now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home