Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Nadeshiko Japan

As I'm sure everyone knows already, they did it! The Japan Women's soccer team - Nadeshiko Japan - took the women's world cup!!

I had heard they were doing pretty good in the tourney, and was bummed I missed some of their matches, especially the huge upset with Germany. So I was pretty psyched when I found out I could catch it late Sunday (Monday morning 3 am really). I was pretty exhausted, but stuck it out, and stayed up till 3 am to catch the game... then I fell asleep.

Doh.

I woke up a couple times during the match, and remember it being 1-1 at one point, but... that's about it. Then I woke up in the morning, turned on the news and saw they won. Hooray!


Sure wish I could have celebrated a bit more in the moment, but oh well. As expected, that's been THE news topic all week, and will probably continue to be like that for some time. How can you blame them though? It's a pretty amazing feat, and an awesome underdog story especially considering the state of the country after the earthquake and such.

And sure enough, Nadeshiko Japan's return home was a total circus. All the news stations were standing by, ready to go live to the airport for the arrival. They even mentioned the crowd was supposedly as large or larger than when Lady Gaga came not too long ago.



Actually from this video it almost seems like the news announcers are going more crazy than the fans who came to the airport, hah.


Man, that's a lot of luggage.

Oh and right, they played the US, so this kinda brought up an interesting conflict of interest for my allegiances. Although with the US vs Japan, that's pretty much a win-win, right? Cause one team I like will win... although the other will lose, so I guess it's more of a win-lose... almost like a competition of some sort... Anyways, as much as I'm all for GO USA! I think I would have rooted for Japan. Its a cool story, especially with the underdog aspect, but also there's the whole thing where, if they lose everyone around me is sad, but if they win, I get to participate in the celebration (if I stayed awake for it). So...

Nippon! Nippon! Nippon! :D

If only Samurai Blue (Men's Soccer) could stop choking when it counts. What are they, from Minnesota? >.>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home